Monday, February 6, 2012

today...or was it yesterday?

I read this:

Always be kinder than you feel like being.

And I realized that I need to stretch myself more.

Reach out of my comfort and feelings and pour into someone else's life thinking more of what they may be needing than what I feel like doing or not doing.

Because for someone today, this may be their worst day. Their whole world could have just been tipped upside down. Whether it is a day of sadness, frustration, or a situation that feels hopeless, one kind comment, one kind act, or that one extra effort to encourage them or be patient with them could lighten their load.

I had a baby that had chronic ear infections. It was raining like crazy one Spring day, I had been stood up at an appointment, sat in the doctor office lobby for longer than usual and was having a really bad day. I needed to stop on the way home to pick up yet another set of antibiotics. I reluctantly climbed out of the car realizing that I was ill prepared for the onslaught of rain. I wrapped a blanket around my baby girl as best as I could, trudged into the store, got the meds and trudged out. It was still raining. Some girl came running across the parking lot with her umbrella and shielded my baby and I (getting completely soaked herself) as I unlocked the car, tried to juggle the keys, the prescription and everything else. She stood there until I got my baby all buckled in and I thanked her over. She just smiled and turned to walk into the store. I sat there for a moment while the tears of joy and thanksgiving trickled down my cheeks. That one act of kindness had completely transformed my day.

I want to strive to do this for someone else. To be that kind, even when it inconveniences me, or stretches me or makes me reach out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment