Friday, April 27, 2012

community

Five Minute Friday Gypsy Mama

Start.

I am at a loss as to how to write about this Friday's word.  Community.  I have never been good about or involved or plugged into a community.  I am much more social in writing words than in speaking them in a face to face encounter.  And given the choice I find myself much more comfortable in one on one situations rather than a group setting.  Especially if coffee and a scone are involved. 

But then the more I thought about the topic of community the more that I began to ask myself questions.  What if I approached my local community not from the perspective of what can I get from it, but what can I give to it?  Could I serve some where and in some way to lighten someones load or brighten their day?  What if my children and I spent an afternoon a week picking up trash?  Making neighbors cookies?  Rounding up our old coats and stuff and take them to the local homeless shelter?  What if we started a flower garden with the sole intent to take bouquets to every person on our street at least once?  What if I dusted off and worked on my crochet skills and then put them to work making blankets for others, especially those that are going through a rough patch or are alone and feel forgotten?  Would I be a little less self conscious and a lot more service conscious? 

I really don't know how to wrap up today's post, however today's word will leave me thinking long after I am done writing.

Stop.

1 comment:

  1. I think the ideas you are are incredible ways to be involved and feel part of a community and also will help others out!

    I hope you try some of those things! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete