Thursday, June 28, 2012

I know I said a break, but I had to share this

I wrote a blog post a while ago about Jacob and all that he went through – and I mentioned his son Judah and the “scandal” with Tamar. Well today I noticed something that I have not caught before. Perez was the result of Judah and Tamar’s relationship – one of deception and disappointed hopes –

Perez was mentioned in Ruth 4:12 and I wrote a note ‘Who is Perez?’ when it said this “may your family be like of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah”. And then down in verse 18 (same chapter) it says this

This, then, is the family line of Perez:
Perez was the father of Hezron,
Hezron the father of Ram,
Ram the father of Amminadab,
Amminadab the father of Nahshon,
Nahshon the father of Salmon,
Salmon the father of Boaz,
Boaz the father of Obed,
Obed the father of Jesse,
Jesse the father of David.

I am not sure what about this story excites me so very much? Is it the fact that through sin, deception, hurt and loss – God brought redemption and beauty and someone like Boaz – a man of great character and steadfast love? Or is it the continual reminder that no matter how great our sin – God is still greater? His plan cannot be held down because of my own failures? I am not advocating on behalf of sinning, far from it. It is horrible and brings pain and death and hurt and on and on the list goes, much further than any of us can for see/imagine when we step foot on that path. It is just the great hope that my pile of ashes can still be made beautiful. And so can yours. I think that is what excites me SO very much when I read these stories on these pages of real people who lived real lives that were REALLY messy at times. That despite it all God is still God and His plan still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment