Friday, June 5, 2015

Esther & Job

I never noticed before that it explains how the name Purim came to be.  Esther chapter 9 verses 23 through 28.

Job
Feared God and shunned evil, when he lost everything he arose, tore his robe, shaved his head and said :
"Naked I came from my mothers womb,
and naked I will depart.
the LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

It occured to me for the first time that God starts off the book saying this about Job, there is no one on earth like him, he is blameless, he is upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.  It made a difference in how I felt about reading what his friends said to him.  They speak a lot of good things about God, strong truths, but they were not wise in dealing with their friends broken heart.  Also their knowledge of God was profound, but did it change their lives?  Because if they lived what they spoke, wouldn't it have looked differently?

In chapter four verse two this question hit me like a ton of bricks...
"If someone ventures a word with you, will you be impatient?"  As a mom the number one thing that threatens to undermine all of the effort I make to pour into their lives is impatience.  Especially if I am in the middle of doing something and the fifty questions start.

I love, love, love these verses...chapter 11 vs. 7-9
Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
They are higher than the heavens-what can you do?
They are deeper than the graves-what can you know?
Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea.

Job 13 verse 15
Though He slay me, yet I will hope in Him.

I want to say this to my children sometimes chapter 16 verse 3
What ails you that you keep on arguing?

The basis of my daily hope and the reason I get up every morning?

I know that Jesus, my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end He will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
Yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see Him
With my own eyes - I, and not another.
How my heart years within me!
Job 19:25-27

And why I can say this day is awesome no matter how hard it is?

The Spirit of God has made me;
The breath of the Almighty gives me life.  33:4

This post was written as a way to preach to myself, to my weakest spots.  Thanks for letting me share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment