Thursday, July 16, 2015

Life & Acts

My goal is to wrap up Bible in 90 Days on Monday.  I have a ton of reading to get done by them, but I think I can do it.  This has been a very odd summer for us. I blinked and June was gone, and took a deep breath and we are half way through July! Lots of amazing things have and continue to happen, but lots of unwelcome surprises (& resulting doctor visits) have attempted to creep in and steal the joy of the moment.

It's hard to keep my heart and mind settled on God.  I love to imagine stories, I see or hear something and immediately my mind is galloping off on an adventure, or stealing away high in the mountains, or finds itself back in a hot, humid dance studio of long ago rehearsing swan lake.  But what can be used for good, even fun things, can quickly turn into an afternoon of 'what if' thoughts tumbling quicker than the laundry in our dryer.  It's imperative that I keep my heart settled on God.  If not, there is no peace on those hard days.  I find myself singing a much beloved hymn, or talking out loud to God, or reciting a Scripture to realign my thoughts and thus my heart.  What do you do when you realize you've slipped into anxious worry mode?

If I had to sum up my quick jaunt through Acts, I would pick chapter 17 vs. 24-28
"The God who made the world & everything in it is the Lord of heaven & earth & does not live in temples built by hands.  And He is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything, because He Himself gives all men life & breath & everything else.  From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; & He determined the times set for them & the exact places where they should live.  God did this so that men would seek Him & perhaps reach out for Him & find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.  'For in Him we live & move & have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are His offspring.'..."



No comments:

Post a Comment