Sunday, March 5, 2017

Day 5 & ramblings

Good morning,  It's still early, most of my house is asleep, except for one puppy that is occasionally letting me know he'd like to be fed.  Like five minutes ago.  :)  But I am trying to keep him on a schedule since he sleeps in my kids' room at night.  We have taught him to sleep until at least 6:30 most mornings, it truly is like having a baby/toddler all over again.

I feel so much better this morning than I have been feeling, I hope that I am over the hump of sugar craving?  I am not sure since I did have a vanilla shake on Friday. I was afraid it would 'reset' but so far, so good.

I am still having a very little bit of sugar in my morning cup of coffee.  I drink decaf and have a one cup brewer, so it literally is one small bit (maybe 1/8 of a tsp) in one cup.  And I am not reading my labels - so I know I am getting some sugar through the day, but I am steering clear of things that I know contain lots of sugar (like some cereals, granola bars, ketchup, juices etc;)  I am also excited about the reduction in all sweet treats and sweet drinks.  Next I think I will tackle reducing breads and pastas.  I LOVE bread.  Sigh.  But I think that if I increase my vegetables, then reducing the bread will be easier.  I have always heard 'replace a habit with a habit to make it stick',  Not sure who said that, but it works!

My husband and I saw the movie 'Hacksaw Ridge'.  Have you seen this movie?  It was so incredibly moving.  I keep thinking about Private Doss' words, "Lord, help to save one more."

The news is so depressing, I either get really mad or really frustrated, and normally always feel helpless after I read the headlines.  They sound so hopeless.  There is so much anger and hate.  It makes me so sad.  But the other day when I made the above comment to my husband, I realized that I could do something to change it.  I could actually do a few things.  I could pray.  For both sides of the political tug of war, for the media, for those that are hurting and those that hurt.  And I could be as kind as I can to everyone I meet, whether they return the kindness or not.  That is hard, really hard.  But my husband pointed out that if I model that and teach our kids to do that, when they are grown. their circle of influence will be greater than ours - especially if all three of them have families.  And it could be a pebble in the pond effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment