Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Day Two

OK on the challenge front, but have lost two nights of sleep with a sick puppy :(.  We have an appointment this afternoon at our vet.

My husband and youngest are also hugging the couch today, they are not feeling good either.  Fun times, right?

I am hanging out in 1 John.  Paul Washer speaks often about the testing of your salvation through 1 John.  Yesterday morning, after a very, very, very loooooooooong night I read through 1 John 1, verse by verse...did you know that it says if we claim to have fellowship with Jesus yet walk in the darkness, that we lie.  What exactly does it mean to walk in the darkness?  Well, I used Blue Letter Bible and was amazed at the picture that began to form in my mind.  To walk here means to make progress, make one's way, make due use of opportunities, regulate one's life, conduct one's self, pass one's life, go that way, be occupied with...the darkness here refers to being in want of light, ignorance of divine things, and its associated wickedness.  So if I am understanding this verse correctly, it means if I choose to occupy myself, my days and my time, my attention and my affections with things, no matter how innocent they may seem on the surface, if they promote darkness at all...then I am in great danger.

This brought me up short, it made me think.  You see I love to read.  I absolutely love to read.  I read quite a bit and develop great affections for the books that I spend my time either listening to or reading.  For me, it's been a bit of a struggle recently because I have found myself questioning if the books I am choosing, do they honor God?  It's actually been about six months or so that it has been bothering me.  Last week I heard a sermon and it was in direct answer to a prayer I had prayed asking for clarification.  Again, here in 1 John, He seems to be answering me.  Drawing me away from the things that have captivated my heart and my attention, returning it to where it needs to be in order for me to live each day to the fullest.

I have no desire to tell someone else they should or should not read something, trusting instead that if it is something that God wants to deal with them on, He can and He shall, just like He is dealing with me.  Instead, I would urge you to seek His face and His will regarding anything - no matter how small and insignificant it may seem to you - because after all, nothing is more important than seeing what He has to say about it, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment