Thursday, August 31, 2017

Homonyms, Homophones, and Homographs oh my

In case you are like me and cannot for the life of you keep these straight, I made an anchor chart today

Homonyms are words that are spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings.

We need to change the front tire on the car.
I tire out easily as I get older.

Suit yourself.
Please put on a suit for the occasion.

Homophones are words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

We read the book.
I like the color red.

I am going to the store.
I have two cookies.
Would you like one too?

Homographs are words that are spelled the same but are pronounced differently and have different meanings.  (these are best read out loud to hear the difference)

I will read that book.
I have read that book.

Please close the door.
Stand close by me.

Take a bow at the end of your performance.
She had the cutest bow in her hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment