Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What we have read...

So we have been really, really disappointed in some of the books that we have tried this summer...

The American Story by Jennifer Armstrong.  I checked this out from the library with great hopes, it started off ok, but then I arrived at the story of the Salem Witch Trials and the story of Jonathan Edwards.  The book took an anti-Christian bias that I was not prepared for.  I was really, really disappointed in how they handled the Salem Witch Trials and even more so in how the author portrayed Jonathan Edwards.  With that said we did giggle over The Great Molasses Flood, but all in all, I am really, really glad we checked this book out of the library and did not purchase it.

North! or Be Eaten (Book 2 Wingfeather Saga) by Andrew Peterson.  We are currently reading this one, and we have shed more than a few tears!

Sundar Singh - Footprints Over the Mountains - Christian Heroes Now and Then.  LOVE LOVE LOVE this story, we are about halfway through it.

Nelly Bly - Fairness.  When I was a little girl my mom bought a book series she collected book by book, each is a biography about someone who demonstrated a character trait worth emulating.  I am now reading these to my youngest (many are re-reads for my oldest two).

Cilla Lee Jenkins: This Book is a Classic by Susan Tan.  My girls received book one for Christmas this past year and it was one of our favorite, favorite books that I have read aloud to them.  So, of course, when I saw book two on the shelf at our library I snatched it up and we excitedly dove right in.  This book was SUCH a disappointment.  Seriously, such a let down.

Squirrel in the Museum (Twitch the Squirrel) by Vivian Vande Velde.  OK, we absolutely LOVE this series.  My husband is currently reading this book aloud to our girls and me.

Bible in 90 Days.  I am trying to make my way through the Bible in 90 days again.  I am currently behind.

Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz.  My oldest is reading this to my youngest.

Portraits of Little Women series by Susan Beth Pfeffer.  My middle daughter loves this series of books.  She says if you love the book Little Women, you will love these!

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.  My middle girl and I are reading this together, next up? ...Little Women of course :).

Something Needs to Change by David Platt.  I read this book in a few days, it is an advanced copy, and I am going to do a blog post soon about it.  It is, in short,...AMAZING!!!

My kids have discovered the wonderful world of choose your own adventures and have devoured several such stories.  I remember loving these when I was about their age.

I am re-reading Lori Wick's series The Californians.  I last read this series when I was in my late teens, early twenties.  It is fun to reread it now, as a wife and mom.

Speaking of being a wife, my husband and I just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary.  I am SO excited that we have been married for nineteen years.  He is, quite literally, my very favorite person on earth (outside of our kids of course:)!



1 comment:

  1. "The book took an anti-Christian bias that I was not prepared for."

    That is unfortunate... :-(

    Something Needs to Change...that sounds interesting. I will look it up.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete