Thursday, October 17, 2019

Did you know that being nice is NOT the same thing as being kind?

In my mind, I have always used the two terms interchangeably but in reality, the two ideas are not the same.  I read a few posts about this very topic this morning after we finished our morning time and I am disturbed to find out that I am really good at being nice, but I suck at being kind.

What's the difference between being nice and being kind?

Well, from what I have learned thus far, being nice is when you treat others politely and treat them well, but often it is motivated from a selfish place, you want (feel like you have to have) their acceptance/approval.  Besides being anxious about whether they are accepting/approving/liking you, there is very little effort that goes into being nice.  It is often a taught/ingrained behavior that has been drilled into us since we were little.  How many times have I heard or reminded myself, "Sunshine, be nice."?

Being kind is a whole different ball game.  You start by thinking of the other person.  You care about the other person, and you show them that you care.  Kindness often inconveniences you, moves you out of your comfort zone, and almost always requires you to set aside your feelings (impatience, disapproval, fear, uncertainty, desire to be comfortable...) and care enough about the other person that it prods you to action.

None of the posts that I read this morning were Christian in nature, in fact, none of them mentioned the Word of God at all.  But I think they understood more about the Bible in that moment than I have expressed in a long time.  After all, His Word admonishes us to choose kindness... Love is patient, love is kind (note it says kind, not nice) (1 Corinthians 13:4), Therefore as God's chosen people - clothe yourselves with kindness (Colossians 3:12) (paraphrased verses)...there are more, lots more.

So anyway, I found this book today (and today it's on sell on Amazon Kindle for 99 cents!) called A Year of Living Kindly by Donna Cameron.  I am intrigued by her challenge, and also thinking ahead for my 2020 word.  My 2019 word, QUIET, did not govern my heart.  I let my heart race ahead with 'what ifs' and lag behind with 'if onlys', I let worry consume my mind and distract me from His presence and His plan.  I failed to thank Him and rest in His ability, trying instead to accomplish what I thought was needed/warranted in just about every situation and then dropping into bed exhausted or frustrated (often both!).  So maybe I just need to choose quiet again?  Either way, kindness is something I want to instill in my children, it is something I want to be noted for, it is something that God is noted for, Christ lived and breathed it, and our world desperately needs it.

I will write more about this after I read her book, hope you are having an amazing beautiful week.

2 comments:

  1. I had never thought about the difference in these words before so it was quite interesting to learn this. Thanks for sharing :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Needed this today!

    ReplyDelete