Thursday, June 17, 2021

Andrew Brunson

Do you remember reading the news articles a few years back, about an American pastor who was held in a Turkish prison for almost two years?  Pastor Andrew Brunson was all over the news and my family and I joined families, churches, and individuals praying all over the world.  We watched news articles closely to see what and how God would move. I still remember the day we read he was released, he was out of Turkey airspace...then seeing the pictures as they landed, and then a bit later seeing pictures as he prayed for President Trump.

A few weeks ago, I was cleaning up my Amazon cart (I am constantly putting books in there until I get a chance to write down the title) and I noticed off to the side a recommendation called God's Hostage by Andrew Brunson and Craig Borlase.  I checked with my husband as I already have committed to my Bible in 90 days and have a stack waiting on me to read once I am done with that challenge, but I really, REALLY wanted to read this book.  

He said yes!  

I read it in two days.

It was PHENOMENAL.  I am now behind in my Bible reading challenge, but I cannot even begin to tell you what a gift this book is.  First of all, what I loved most about it was the honesty and vulnerability that he expressed.  My girls and I love to read missionary biographies (& autobiographies).  But sometimes, it seems like these people are super Christians and I am left wondering what is wrong with me that my confidence doesn't mirror theirs?  I mean, if I was imprisoned for my faith, would I have a Corrie Ten Boom experience or more along the lines of the Father Cristo from Silence by Shusaku Endo?  

As someone who has intimate knowledge, experience with, and gives care to those that day in and day out struggle with severe mental health issues, I was sooooooo, soooooooo thankful that Pastor Brunson included his experience and subsequent wrestling with God through anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideations.  There aren't many Christians (at least I have not found them) with books or materials out there regarding mental health in light of Scripture.  This is one area in which I think the American church spectacularly fails those that struggle.  I don't have the answers as to how to fix it, but I am praying about it.  We need Godly men and women to raise up and walk along side those that struggle, to teach how to struggle in a way that glorifies God and also how to walk out Biblical truths when you have chronic mental health struggles.

SO, at some point this summer, please, please buy this book and read it.  It is THE best book I have read in 2021.  I highly recommend it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment