Saturday, June 19, 2021

Bible in 90 Days week 4 check-in

 This past week was a bit of challenge for me.  Between managing special needs, dog care, working outside trying to chop up tree limbs we cut down earlier in the week, and reading a biography about Andrew Brunson, I got behind in my reading 😞.  So tonight I am officially three days behind in B90.  Tomorrow, I plan to spend time catching up.  

  I absolutely love Samuel.  He was an amazing man of God.  I love how he led Israel.  I get so frustrated with Saul, would love to have a Jonathan friendship (would love for my husband to have that as well as each of our girls), and am always challenged by David's depth of love for God.  He messed up - his life was a mess actually - he was not a great dad, had multiple wives, committed adultery and then murdered the husband of Bathsheba... - but his heart for God was unmistakably tender and surrendered - totally willing to humble himself at every turn.

 This time reading through Absalom's treachery (2 Samuel 15) I was struck by Ittai's devotion, his words, I want them to be the cry of my heart for Jesus - "wherever my lord the king may be, whether for death or life, there also your servant will be.".  Wherever Jesus, my Lord and King leads me, calls me - whether to death or life - there I, Your servant, will follow.

  I also wonder at David's patience while having stones, dirt, and curses hurled at him from Shimei (2 Samuel 16)- but instead of shouting back, allowing Abishai to avenge him, or defending himself, David totally laid his life and his times in the hands of God, trusting Him to do what He pleased, no matter how "unfair" it looked or felt.  

  I am off to read some more before bed, I have read these pages before, but each and every time, I am utterly captivated by the faithfulness of God and confounded by the treachery of man in the face of His goodness.  How can we be so awful and turn our backs on Him over and over and over again?

No comments:

Post a Comment