Saturday, June 18, 2022

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder and Scorch Trials...

So, I read Hannah Swensen number one (this is the book series that Hallmark Movies and Mysteries based their Murder She Baked movies on) and it was just as darling as the Peach Cobbler Murder.  I loved meeting the cast of characters and seeing Hannah come into her own as a amateur sleuth.  I loved how the relationship with her sister Andrea develops through the story, how much her mom meddles in her love life 😄, and how each chapter ends with a delicious recipe!!  I would LOVE to get to visit the Cookie Jar in Lake Eden.

I also listened to the Scorch Trials (checked it out from the library) and love how you literally hit the ground running again in this story.  DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ BOOK ONE The Maze Runner.  

They made it out of the maze - not without great sacrifice and loss of life, but most of the gladers made it.  Now they find themselves jumping from the frying pan directly into the fire.  Not pulling any punches, the creators flat out tell them they are in the fight of their lives.  Who are the Cranks?  What is the Flare?  How will they make it through this latest test?  Where is Teresa?   This is a great book and I highly recommend it - but don't do what I did and wait until bedtime to listen.  It will grab your attention and keep you up way too late in the night trying to listen for just "five more minutes".

The first half of this year has been brutal.  I have sought to process this by escaping into stories and the reading of books was/is a goal I can meet pretty much no matter what is going on, because I do read fast, and there are always moments throughout even the hardest of days where there is some down time.  The problem's in the growing conviction I have been feeling as I work my way through the Studies in the Sermon on the Mount.  I have not chosen many growing books this year, instead my choices have been more "candy" reads.  So, I am going to do a bit of a mid-year pivot.  I want to finish the Maze Runner series (I thought there were just three, but I think maybe there are four?) and I want to read more in the Hannah Swensen series (I love that series) but each week I also want to choose a book that will challenge and encourage me in my walk with Christ.  I am also reading through the New Testament this summer and I want to be intentional about completing this first thing every morning.  

How is your year going?  Can you believe we are just about half way through it?  I am already counting down the days until the "ber" months...my favorite part of the year!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment