Thursday, March 23, 2023

Enola Holmes and the Case of the Bizarre Bouquets

by Nancy Springer

I was really glad that it was time to read the next book in the series!  I waited to read the third one so that so that it would count as one of my reading challenges, but I have been so busy, it kept getting shoved back another week.

Finally, this week was the week!

I LOVE Enola Holmes.  Just like with the K.M. Shea series, I started off pre-reading for one of my girls, fell in love with the series, and decided to read the rest of it.

Favorite quotes:

This one had me laughing out loud, because I could picture the entire thing unfolding -

"I am long of limb and love to run - I have always been the disgrace of my family, running, climbing, and generally acting like a biped - but that accursed skirt slowed me down even as I hoisted it to my knees, for doing so denied me the proper pumping action of my arms.  Other parts of my personage compensated so that my head wobbled and I swayed from side to side, altogether, I am sure, resembling a tall Paris-green goose in a tremendous hurry." (pg. 57)

"I firmly believe that the whole reason women must wear long skirts is so that they are unable to do anything worthwhile." (pg. 101)

My favorite phrase Enola utters"  "Oh my stars and garters!"

This book opens with Dr. Watson in a precarious position...Enola reads about his mysterious disappearance, at once wondering if this is yet another attempt from her brothers, Mycroft and Sherlock, to get her back under their thumbs.  She quickly deduces this is not the case and sets upon the path to uncover what has happened to poor Dr. Watson, while still staying one (or two) steps ahead of her brothers.  She desperately wants to maintain her freedom and avoid (at all costs!) being forced to fulfill their misguided wishes to transform Enola into their vision of excellence...drawing room artistry, corsets, and heaven-forbid singing lessons.

P.S.  After a horrible night of not being able to sleep (don't you just HATE those nights?  They last fooooooorever it seems like) I re-listened to Snow Queen book two (Heart of Ice).  I LOVE the Snow Queen series (by K.M.Shea), I am reading book one aloud right now and it is SO much fun to share this book with my girls!

2 comments:

  1. The Enola Holmes series sounds great! I love the quote you included - I could picture the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quote is still making me giggle 😆

    ReplyDelete