Thursday, January 19, 2017

so far 2017

has been just as hard as 2016 was.  Health issues are staring down their noses at us, doctor appointments are stacking up.  Sigh.  It could be worse, yes I am aware of that.  Unfortunately I am also just as aware that it could be so much better.

So what do you do when the new year isn't so new and your resolutions just seem like a joke at this point?

You cry out to God.

I am quickly realizing (I seem to get amnesia and need this reminder over and over and over) He is my only hope.  Not necessarily that things will get better or easier.  But that He is with me no matter how hard the day is.   I am also realizing what I for years referred to as faith, was just a poor substitute.  It was situational based faith.  If the situation was favorable, my faith was strong.  However as soon as the situation turned south, my faith crumbled and I felt insecure and a little unsure of God.  Why wasn't the situation getting better, I was asking in faith?  Well the truth is He has promised Himself, not an easy day to day life.  Life is unpredictable.  I cannot look at my circumstances and build my faith, I need to look at Him and build my faith so that I can accurately see my circumstances.  

A few years ago I read the book A Praying Life by Paul Miller.  HIGHLY recommend this book.  Anyway if you google Prayer Cards Paul Miller you will get a lot of amazing ideas.  This was one of my favorite posts.  The first two caught my attention.  My spiritual formation and areas of surrender.

Anytime that I see any of my children struggle, suffer, or stumble...great waves of anxiety crash against the walls of my heart and mind.  I find myself having to surrender over and over and over  Only to catch myself worrying and fretting a few minutes later.  I know God is mighty and sovereign.  But that truth doesn't consistently rule my heart or my thoughts.  I also have so many things to do every day that I find the momentary urgent crowding out the enduring truth.  Since I am a very visual person, I decided this afternoon I needed to make myself some prayer cards.

How do you keep His Word or His promises in front on you?  How do you remind yourself to continually look at Him instead of the turbulent circumstances you may find yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment