Saturday, August 15, 2020

Reading Challenge Update

 I am tired of calling these posts about the reading challenge the same thing over and over - but since I can't think of anything else to title it 💝...

The Ballad of Songbird and Snakes - OK so I am a HUGE fan of the Hunger Games trilogy, but ultimately I did not like this book.  I don't know if it is because I was predisposed to really NOT like Snow, or what, but as a whole, although I am glad I read it, I did not like it.

Expectation Corner by Emily Steele Elliott - I loved this little book (it was recommended in Waiting on God by Andrew Murray).  Here are some thoughts I noted down:

pg. 19 "My soul wait only upon God: My expectation is from Him!" (which is Psalm 62:5)

pg 26 "Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?"

"...every morning ask God to let you see His ordering for the day...ask Him to enable you to do all - even the smallest things - from the one motive of love to Him who gave His life for you."

pg 39 "...and crown Him Lord of all."  They quoted from the hymn and the character's response?  "If that means anything at all, it means everything."  WOW - so true - but something I forget all of the time.  

pg 40 I love this - "Let in the love of Christ; live out the love of Christ; work out of the life of Christ; look on to the coming of Christ."

Of Literature and Lattes by Katherine Reay.  This is a 'sort of' continuation of the character's lives from The Printed Letter Bookshop.  I liked this story, but I loved The Printed Letter Bookshop.  I felt like ultimately the story was a bit rushed at the end.  BTW, if you've never read a book by Katherine Reay - I HIGHLY highly recommend Dear Mr. Knightley.  That is hands down my favorite, favorite book that she has written.

Suffering by Paul David Tripp - This is a MUST have manual if you are going through a season of suffering of any kind!!! I love this book!  I am reading, highlighting, and note-taking my way through and it is blessing me so deeply.



I am eagerly awaiting a book that will be released on September 8, 2020.  It is called Fear Gone Wild by Kayla Stoecklein.  I have pre-ordered it, already read the pages she released as a pre-order bonus, and canNOT wait to get my hands on this book.  

                                                                    

In my stack next:

I have the story of Mulan my kids want me to read aloud in anticipation of the movie, I need to finish Knowing God by JI Packer (I paused it to read Suffering), and also some books to shed light on new diagnoses we are facing...so here is to a happy reading weekend for you all - hope it includes cups of yummy drinks (hot chocolates!!!) and lots of blissful hours tucked away reading ❣

No comments:

Post a Comment