Thursday, November 24, 2022

Rumpelstilskin by K.M. Shea

I did it!!!!!!!!!!  I reached my goal of 104 books this year!  YIPPEEEEE!  

For my one hundred and fourth book, it just so happened to be from one of my newest favorite series.  I started pre-reading this series for one of my girls, because fairytale re-writes can go south very quickly.  I know I have said this before, but it is worth saying again, this is one of the most delightful fairytale re-written series I have read.  I like this author as much as Gail Carson Levine (she is one of our favorites!)

I was truthfully very skeptical of this book, I did NOT like the story of Rumpelstilskin as a kid.  

Actually, I hated it.  I was horrified at the thought of the girl promising her firstborn child (even under duress) - so I avoided this fairytale (as well as Hansel and Gretel) like the plague.  

But when the story came up as number four in this series I decided to give it a shot and I am SO so glad that I did.  I loved Gemma's story.  It was so good.  I feel like I say that after reading each and every Timeless Fairytale book so far, but they are so charming and enchanting and so, so good.  

My favorite quotes:
"Those she grew up doubted her skill, but Gemma saw no reason to waste valuable time caring what they thought of her.  So she carried on and listened with the patience she reserved for screaming toddlers."

"You might be proud of yourself, Gemma Kielland.  But you're nothing but a chicken borrowing turkey feathers," Malfrid said as she stormed out of the room.

I love the messages of love and forgiveness and courage threaded through each and tale...as well as the sweet love stories that unfold.    

Well, now that I have eaten enough food to stuff a turkey three times over, I am off to bed.  Happiest of Thanksgivings to you!  


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on meeting your goal of 104 books! Glad you enjoyed Rumpelstilskin. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete