Thursday, March 2, 2023

The Faithfulness of God

This week has been interesting, to say the least...

On Tuesday, we needed to run to the store, the pharmacy, and in the midst of that get school done and get my husband to and from work in the am so that we could use the car...

The store run went ok, I even popped into a local coffee shop to redeem a five dollar reward, and got a decaf iced latte (with a cinnamon stick from home.  If you have never tried this - try it!  I pop in an entire cinnamon stick - works in iced or hot latte's.  Let it sit and yummmmmmmmm!).  

We got the morning portion of school done, and since Buddy (our chihuahua) was sad that we'd left him to run the morning errands we packed him up and took him with us to go get my husband for lunch.  I noted as we left our neighborhood that our battery light was on...I called my husband, because I have never seen that light pop up before.  He said to just not turn the car off when we got there and we'd use his lunch hour for him to run into Walmart and grab a battery to replace it (or at least let them run a test to see if it needed replacing).

Well, we got to my husband's work and the car basically freaks out.  He finally comes out (I do NOT do well when a car freaks out...it's not like you can reason with it and tell it, 'it's ok, we are headed to get you some help'...you can talk to the dashboard all you want, the car is gonna continue freaking out).  

So, we head to Walmart - me praying out loud all the way there to please get us there safely.  Lights were popping up on the dashboard, the electronic displays would die and then come back, some kind of alarm was beeping, the car kept shifting into neutral without us touching it...it was veeeeeerrrrrrry stressful.

To top it off, when we got to Walmart I realized, 'ought-oh we have Buddy with us'.

Hilarity ensues.

One of our girls and I decided to start walking home with Buddy and the other two would stay with Daddy.

Buddy weighs fourteen pounds.

Buddy walked maybe ten to twenty steps of the miles long trek,

Through fields, and by ponds, over streets, and on sidewalks...either I, or my daughter, carried him.

He is the HEAVIEST fourteen pounds I have ever carried.

To make a longer than I have time for story shorter, our car is in the shop...we suspect the alternator...but the interesting part is this:

I am using Journey to the Cross by Will Walker and Kendal Haug as my lent study.  I also started (after inspiration from two Inst*gr*m accounts - Georgia Brown and Draw Near to God) hanging up my prayers and journaling my study of God's Word.  And just this week, I prayed this:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart.
Test me and know my anxious thoughts."

God did just that.  

He showed me how anxious I become when the car freaks out, when we have to walk a long distance and we have to depend on God to protect us.  When we are vulnerable and unexpected expenses arise, when we have to figure out what to do next when the path before us becomes a bit bumpier than we had anticipated, and when lunch hour turns into lunch hours...what then?!?!  It is easy to sing about and talk about the faithfulness of God from the comfort of our homes and our little study nooks...but quite a bit different when real life unfolds.

Despite all of the hard and the unexpected, God once again, reminded me that He is SO faithful.  He quieted my anxious thoughts, God showed up.  

The details are too personal to share here.  But literally as we put one foot before the other on Tuesday and Wednesday...God was there to meet us.  He allowed things to happen even a few weeks ago that set the stage for the past few days to work out.  He is sooooooooo incredibly faithful.  He is so so so so so very kind and merciful and mighty.  He takes note of the smallest of details.  And He strengthens backs and arms to carry sweet little beloved dogs home.

So, this season of Lent, as we turn our eyes to Jesus and look to Him for our faith and our strength...be reminded of this.  When life comes at you hard and fast - God is right there with you.  Even if it means just means carrying a chihuahua home.  💝  

No comments:

Post a Comment