Thursday, February 1, 2024

Murder in an Irish Churchyard

by Carlene O'Connor

I was SO taken aback by how this book began.  Quite a few things have changed and minus spoiling the entire book I can't really talk about that...so...I will say what I liked and what I didn't like about book three.

First of all, the book takes place in January and the talk of cold and snow was utterly delightful.  I mostly listened to this book, but I also own the kindle version so I read to fill in the blanks of when I fell asleep listening to it the night before 😊.  

I absolutely love the O'Sullivan six.  This quote gives the PERFECT snapshot showing how much Siobhan loves them:

"Siobhán was grateful to be back in her kitchen. She’d missed it. She loved investigating, but the stress of it made her appreciate home and family more than ever. She felt as if she hadn’t seen her siblings in a long time. They were such a part of her, like breathing. Even if it was labored breath at times, and holding your breath other times." (page 208)

One thing that was a bit confusing: all of a sudden Siobhan is worried about Ciaran (her youngest brother) being exposed to murder and how worried she was about that.  Did the author just forget the first two books?  This is not Ciaran's first exposure to murder or his sister's absolute obsession with solving the mystery.

I did NOT like how the book began, but was very happy with how it ended.  You must read at least the first one to understand this one (but preferably both of the first two).  

As always, I recommend this with a caveat, there is quite a bit of language (although this book was better than the first two) and I highly recommend listening to it if you can because the narrator is FABULOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment