Saturday, June 13, 2015

B90 Proverbs part one

I love words.

Talking, writing, thinking, talking, reading, talking...

As someone who loves words, I often land in hot water because of them.  I speak before I think, I say too much, I talk when I should listen...on and on it goes.

A few years ago I noticed the wealth of wisdom regarding the words we speak nestled in the book of Proverbs and I jotted down 'words' at the end of each statement, for a quick easy reference.  It's a gold mine!!!

A few of my favorites?

Chpt 10:11
The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life,
but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked.

Chpt 10:19 (an ouch verse for me)
When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Chpt 10:31
The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom,
but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

Chpt 12:25
An anxious heart weighs a man down,
but a kind word cheers him up.

Chpt 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

THINK before you speak - ask yourself is it True? Helpful? Inspiring? Necessary? Kind?
Chpt 15:28
The heart of the righteous weighs it's answers
but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil?

Chpt 16:21
The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.

Chpt 16:25
A wise man's heart guides his mouth,
and his lips promote instruction.

Chpt 17:27
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
and a man of understanding is even tempered.

Chpt 18:13
He who answers before listening
that is his folly and his shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment