Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Three - in - One

Three novellas by three different authors, under one main title : The Cost of Betrayal.  I am counting these as three separate books because each book was over a hundred pages each and they can be purchased book by book.

I chose this set of three books because Dani Pettrey was listed as the one of the authors, and she has quickly become one of my favorite cozy mystery authors.  

The first book Betrayed, shared characters (Paul and Ann) from a book that I read last year by Dee Henderson (Traces of Guilt) and that was a neat surprise.  In this book, Janelle has been in prison for the past six years for a murder she insists she didn't commit.  When Paul and Ann find themselves with a few hours free on a Saturday afternoon, they attend an auction and in true "Ann style" she inadvertently stumbles upon a box of clues that will lead them down a rabbit hole of righting some wrongs and hopefully unraveling the mystery of who did actually kill Andrew.  Was it Janelle?  Was it a robbery gone bad or an accident?  I liked this novella, the only thing I wish I knew was does the story pick up as a secondary story in any of her other books?  Because it left (in my opinion) quite a bit unanswered.

The second book, Deadly Isle, is by Dani Pettrey.  I LOVE Dani Pettrey's books.  This quote is one of the many reasons why:

"Because we live in a fallen world with fallen people.  Evil exists and tragedies, unfortunately, happen here.  But nothing touches us that God hasn't allowed or equipped us through His Spirit to endure, and when tragedies like this happen it reminds us that our home and our hope is in heaven.  There everything is fair.  There are no tragedies, no death, no separation, and no sorrow." (I borrowed this book from the library and forgot to note the page number, but it is located in one of the later chapters.)

The third and final book is Code of Ethics by Lynette Eason.  I don't think I have read any of Lynette Eason's books before this one, but I think I have found a new author to explore.  This book finds Ruthie, a trauma surgeon, about to go on a much-needed vacation.  Instead she is thrust in the middle of a cop against cop scenario after performing her last surgery of the day.  She will go to extraordinary lengths to protect her patient, and rely on her family to help prove who is innocent and who is guilty.

LOVED this three book novella collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment