Saturday, February 5, 2022

Traces of Guilt &...

Interestingly enough, I heard about Dee Henderson as a recommendation right before this week's challenge was posted...so I was excited to see her name on the list as recommended reads for 52 weeks.  After finishing The Winter Garden, it took a day for me to just process that book, but I really wanted to try Dee Henderson, so even though it was late in the week to start another book, I picked it up and am so glad I did💖. 

Traces of Guilt was a sweet, engaging read to bounce back from the intensity of The Winter Garden.  *Full disclosure, I am almost done with Traces of Guilt, but not quite yet. 

I love the prayers they prayed in this book, I love how committed they are to making sure justice is served even when that goes in a very uncomfortable direction, and I loved how this was a hallmark movie and mystery type mystery - I think they are called cozy mysteries?  

Evie Blackwell is coming to Carin County Illinois to spearhead a new task force to review cold cases.  The next sixteen days are their trial run and things get off to a rather rough start as a buck deer tries to literally take her, her car, and her dogs out.  She inadvertently stirs up a hornet nest as she gets down to business, taking over the old post office and setting up camp.  

I have the last few chapters to read tonight and am REALLY looking forward to it! I will definitely be reading more Dee Henderson books!

*edited* I finished the book - what I liked is how well Dee Henderson switched point of views - it was done so well and actually added to the story (normally I find it hard to follow when an author switches character points of view chapter by chapter).  What I didn't like was how the story drug on and on and on at the end.  I feel like she repeated herself so much that the resolution of the three crimes could have been wrapped up four or five chapters before they were.   

I also got behind on the 'need-to pre-read' stack because The Winter Garden was all consuming (in the best way), but I promised to get this done this week, so I picked up The Bravest Princess from the Wide-Awake Princess series and jumped right in.  I LOVE this series.  It is SO cute.  E.D. Baker does an excellent job with the mystery element, the intrigue and fairy tale princesses are perfect for tweens/young teens to enjoy.  I hope to finish the last few chapters tomorrow before beginning the new challenge 💝.  

No comments:

Post a Comment