Thursday, August 29, 2024

Frustrated

So, this morning I went to the store with one of my adult special needs children.  Instead of using her wheelchair, we opted to use the special needs' grocery cart.  One of the employees went out of their way to intercept us and make fun of my daughter in the cart.  I was going to just simply walk away so as not to draw any more attention to the situation and to further embarrass either one of us.  But when we went down the pet aisle we could hear him, next aisle over, sharing his comments with an employee and the both of them laughing.  

At which point, my blood boiled.

I HATE confrontation.

I would rather someone think they were right, they won, whatever than to get into any kind of confrontation.  

But this was too much.  

This crossed a line.

I swung our cart around, shaking LITERALY from head to toe, and I marched around the corner and I said :

"This is a special needs cart."

He said, "I know."

I said, "My daughter has special needs and this is NOT funny.  STOP commenting."

Up until that point both employees had been snickering and laughing it up.

Social interactions are difficult for my adult children (she is not the only one of mine with special needs) and up until recently going to the store was a low stress way for us to get some social interaction.  We already have to break up our shopping trips several times a week so that we do not get overwhelmed.  But this is the second time (in a very short period of time) where we have had a negative experience. 

So, when you are out and about, never, EVER forget that people with disabilities are also out and about.  

And your words can hurt.  

DEEPLY. And the things you take for granted - it is SO SO much harder for those with special needs.  Disabilities are not always obvious.  The special needs' carts are at the stores for a reason.  When we choose to use them - it is NOT ok to make fun of those who need them.

I am STILL so angry.  

I did call back and spoke to a team leader, and I did leave feedback regarding my visit, but it still does not take back the hurtful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment