Thursday, September 19, 2024

Okay For Now

by Gary Schmidt.

After finishing Wednesday Wars (on my own, I am still reading it aloud) I immediately checked to see if Mr. Schmidt had any other books and was delighted to see that there was a sequel (of sorts) for Wednesday Wars.  When I began reading it, I realized I had read this book years ago (2018, I checked this blog for the dates) and had no idea at the time that some of the characters were from another book.  I loved it then, and I loved it even more now, reading it on the heels of Wednesday Wars.

Okay For Now, dives into who Doug Swieteck is (besides being a punk trouble maker that is). I loved his story as much as I loved Holling Hoodhood's in the first one.  Whereas the first one takes place with the Vietnam War being the historical turning point, this one unfolds  during the aftermath of that war, when the sons start to return home, when families are desperately still searching and waiting for any news on MIA, and also during Apollo 11's journey to the moon.  

You HAVE to read this book.  

Actually, if there were two books I would recommend you read this year, it would be these two.  They are so, so beautiful.

I also read another trilogy by K.M. Shea.  But again, although good and fun and fluffy, in the shadow of this book, it is just that - fun and fluffy.  So, no review.

Bible study has resumed and once again I am making my way through the Bible chronologically.  Fall is supposed to also be on the horizon, but it still feels like we are knee deep in July right now, and I am REALLY tired of July weather.  Hopefully, hopefully, cool weather will return and I will be able to take my Bible reading outside in the morning without feeling like I could possibly melt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment