Saturday, July 4, 2015

Jonah, Micah, & Nahum

the panicked sailors went from each praying to his own god (1:5) to crying out to the LORD (1:14)

Jonah was banished from God's side, yet he was confident he would again look towards His holy temple (2:4)

Those that cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.  But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to You. What I have vowed I will make good.  Salvation comes from the LORD. (2:8)

I am amazed, awesomely amazed at the Ninevites reaction to Jonah's message. Chpt. 3

Jonah chpt. 4 is very hard for me.  Why did Jonah get so angry?  Is it because the Ninevites had been so mean to the Israelites that Jonah so desperately wanted to see them get what they deserved?  Do I do that? Get angry or frustrated when God extends mercy instead of punishment?  I am so sad the book ends with Jonah so angry.

Micah 6:6-8
With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, with a calf a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

7:7
But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.

7:18 & 19
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives transgression of the remnant of His inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.
You will have compassion on us; You will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

Nahum 1:3
The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.

*edited to add, I typed this out on my iPad and autocorrect changed sight to side, Jonah spoke about being banished from God's sight, but now that I reached the end of my post it won't let me go back :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment