Tuesday, August 15, 2017

North and South

Have you read the book North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell?  I have seen the BBC movie about a hundred times probably and LOOOOOOOVE it.  However, until recently I realized that I had never actually read the book.  I have it on Kindle (it's free) and added audible narration through audible earlier in the year.  It has always been on my 'to be read' list, but I never got around to it.  But the other night, when I was having trouble sleeping, I decided I would give it a try.  I started out on the Kindle, but as I felt my eyes get tired after a few chapters, I switched over to audible.

Oh. My.

I love the book even more than the movie.

The movie is very much one of my favorite love stories, almost even with Pride and Prejudice.  The book though, the book is on a whole other level.  It is still very much a love story, but it is also a story about suffering and beauty in the hard moments.  It is a story about friendships and striving and forgiving and letting go.  Ahhhhh, I love this story so much.  Next, I will have to try Wives and Daughters.  :)

The less sugar challenge is going ok, I am going for a lifestyle change that will be long term, not a short term quick fix.  I figured out early on that if I was going to do this I would have to be all in.  I can't do it if I am only shooting for thirty days. But you know what?  It isn't as awful as I thought it would be.  Now I am sure if I was going for the no sugar at all, detox type challenge, that I would be singing (or crying) a different tune.  But the less sugar is doable and I feel better when I stick to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment