Tuesday, December 22, 2020

what is grace? part 1

In my study of good works, the concept of grace seems to always be closely intertwined, so I better figure out exactly what grace is and what it isn't. I started in the book of Ephesians because a few years ago one evening I was really struggling with anxiety and worry over my girls' futures.  I wondered how in the world will they navigate life in light of all that they struggle with and what will that look like.  Anyway, as  I was stewing or marinating in the muck and mire of 'what if' thinking, God showed me a verse in Ephesians and it was as if the hallelujah chorus went off.  Here was a promise I could grab onto and hold tight - it says:

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  (Eph. 2:10 NIV)

I didn't spend too much time that evening worrying over what exactly good works were - I just grabbed hold of the promise, the reassurance that God was not caught off guard by their struggles, that He is not up there in heaven gazing down, wringing His hands.  That, praise God, He prepared for them in advance, praise His holy name that they were created in Christ Jesus to do what He purposed for them to do, and how thankful I truly am for the reassurance that these three are His handiwork - He knit them together in my womb and they are fearfully and wonderfully - beautifully made (Psalm 139).  I pulled out a piece of cardstock, my last one of that kind, it's decorated like an old fashioned Pooh Bear postcard, and I wrote out that promise, with each of their names and placed it on our chest of drawers in our (my and my husband's) bedroom.  

But in my quest to figure out what exactly good works are and what they are not, I trekked back through the Bible until I reached the book of Ephesians.  Ironically, as I was filling out my Tim Challies reading challenge last week I texted my mom and asked her for a book recommendation so I could fill that slot in - she recommended the book of Ephesians 😍.

In case I forget to mention it again, the primary tools I will be using are:  my NASB Bible, my Life Application Study Bible (NIV) that my mom gave me last year for Christmas and my Blue Letter Bible and Bible Hub apps.  

OK, so beginning in Ephesians chapter 2, it mentions grace in verses 5,7, & 8.  Using the Blue Letter Bible app, I find out that the word grace is from the Greek word charis.  I believe this usage points to the following - good will, loving-kindness, favour - of the merciful kindness, by which God, exerting His holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.  

OK, so lunch is almost ready, (meatloaf and scalloped potatoes and corn - yummy!) so I better stop here today, but hopefully will pick back up tomorrow - until then - have a great day 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment