Tuesday, April 13, 2021

on getting vaccinated and other life tidbits

So, I got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine a couple of weeks ago and it was HORRIBLE.  By the evening after receiving the vaccine I had a really, really high fever, chilled, my heart rate stayed at 125 all night (I am usually in the 60's -70's for resting heart rate), and the pain...I cannot even begin to describe the aching pain - I have had the flu (several times) and the flu shot, plus I am up to date on all vaccines...I have never, ever experienced anything this miserable.  Not while being sick, and not after getting a vaccine.  I know other people personally who received this vaccine and were fine...but there is NO way I would get this vaccine again.  It took me most of the week (I got the shot on a Saturday) to feel back to normal.   

I am SO behind on my reading.  I don't know what is wrong with me this year, even the Challie's challenge I look forward to each year, with those tiny circles I love to check off...that hasn't even helped 😕.

My girls and I finally finished Book Four of the Wingfeather Saga (The Warden and the Wolf King), sobbing our way through a large portion of the final chapters.  I HIGHLY recommend this gorgeous series by Andrew Peterson, it is such a beautiful, beautiful set of stories that drives home the message of the gospel. the high cost of sin, and the beauty of forgiveness and love.  

We also finished :

Adventures with Waffles by Maria Parr (LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY!!!!!)

Betsy and Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

As for me, when my fever was raging and I hurt too bad to even roll over I listened to audible to try to get my mind off of my misery...years ago my girls made their ways through the Mysterious Benedict Society (by Trenton Lee Stewart) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I never got past book one, but wanted to know how the rest of the series unfolded...so I finally finished book two and book three (they did NOT disappoint!)  Although using audible did not work (I was too miserable to concentrate) and I had to read through them once I felt better, I am so glad I did!

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

Journey to the Cross by Will Walker (still working on this one personally)

The Day Approaching by Amir Tsarfati 

This is it for all of March and the first portion of April.  😞

A few days ago, I pulled out my Bible, a composition book and have begun making my way, verse by verse, through the book of Romans.  I am using the Bible Hub and Blue Letter Bible app/websites to help.  Most of the time when I read through the book of Romans I find myself glossing over the majority of the content and when I am done with either the chapter(s) or the entire book, I am a bit vague as to what I just read.  I don't want to have just a vague notion of this letter from Paul, nor do I want any knowledge I have to come from what others have taught, wrote, and/or preached from this book.  No, I want these words that Paul penned through the power of the Holy Spirit to grab a hold of my heart and shape its landscapes and thoughts and in turn guide my behavior.

Well, that's it.  Oh, we have planted some lilac bushes (a gift from a wonderful friend!) and some irises (also from my friend) and I am SO SO SO SO excited.  I LOVE lilacs and irises (irises were in my wedding bouquet, and I will have to ask my mom, but I think I had lilacs too!!!!) and cannot wait until these take off.  One day, not too many springs from now, my yard is going to be SO SO beautiful and smell like heaven.  My husband is still (mostly) working from home and I find myself crying (pathetic I know!!) when he does have to go into the office.  The one amazingly awesome thing that came from the lock-down was Work From Home!!!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE having my husband home.  Have a great week - 

2 comments:

  1. I just saw in our local news that the use of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine may be halted for awhile. So far, the only side effects I've had from my first Pfizer vaccine is the sore arm. It's the second shot that has people down for a couple of days. I'm going into that (late next week) prepared. So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how your second one goes - I am praying it is smooth and easy!!! The Johnson and Johnson has been halted here too. A bit disconcerting to hear that a vaccine you just took has been halted bc of serious side effects :(. Hope you have a beautiful week this week - even with the shot :).

      Delete