Saturday, May 22, 2021

Tanner


 I snapped this picture this past week.  We were watching a movie and my girls were knitting, when I looked over and saw Tanner curled up with my stuffed piglet and Buddy peaking over a pillow in the background.  SO sweet.  Tanner is 17 years old.  We moved here roughly 15 years ago when I was five months pregnant with my youngest.  Six weeks after she was born, I took my then four and two year old to the pound in search of a puppy.  We prayed right before we went in, asking God to give us wisdom in choosing a dog.  

When we walked down the aisles, all of the other dogs were jumping around, barking, so excited.  But in the middle sat this roughly two and a half-year old rat terrier/beagle mix.  He looked so sad.  My four year old said, "Mommy, that's him.  That's the one for us."  We brought him home and he has been so patient as my kids have grown, so patient with us as our lives have dipped and swayed with struggles.  He has been patient as we have added and lost other pets over the years...in one word he has been faithful.  

Tanner is in the doggie vet hospital.  He is paralyzed because he fell trying to get on the bed and a disc is bulging. We have been treating arthritic issues for a few years, so we aren't entirely sure if he fell because the disc slipped or if the disc slipped/bulged when he fell trying to get on the bed in the middle of the night.  Our box springs and mattresses sit on the floor, in part due to Arendale (long story short, he chewed on connector pieces of the bed frame and after trying everything else, we disassembled the frames) but after we lost Arendale, we decided to keep the beds off of the frames to make it easier/safer for Tanner to get on and off the bed.  We have tried stairs/pillows etc; and he won't use them - I am honestly not sure at this point he can even see them.  

We use gates and try our best to keep his running and jumping to a minimum - but even at 17 (somedays barely being able to walk), he hits what we call his "wild" hours.  It is as if someone transports him back to being a puppy again and he bounds around with a big ol' grin on his face, tongue hanging out - sooooo happy.  Those times I find myself running around yelling, "watch out, be careful, don't let him jump, watch that he doesn't plow into the gate" and in the midst of it all, Tanner, my kids, and Buddy (the Chihuahua) are running around giggling and barking and just having the best time.  

This accident comes just roughly six months after losing Arendale.  I cannot stand the thought of putting another dog down.  I am still not over the trauma of making that decision with Arendale.  I am praying that Tanner recovers his ability to walk, so that he can live out his last days with dignity and joy.  I don't shy away from the thought of taking care of him, I am willing to do what it takes, I just want to honor his faithfulness.  I want him to be able to use the restroom (even if it means diapers and/or slinging him).  I want him to know that he is loved.  I want him to be comfortable and to be given the chance to recover, as painfree as possible.  He is not in pain right now (the vets assure me), he doesn't show any signs of suffering - I know that he cannot live forever, but I want his end of life to be full of joy and compassion.  Will you pray for our dog Tanner?  My youngest is having the hardest time, he is her best friend - their bond is so sweet.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment