Saturday, January 8, 2022

The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart

The challenge this week was to choose a "Grandparent of Crime" for 52 books in 52 weeks, and I am a bit nervous to write my first book review for this challenge.  So, I am going to try several different formats until I find what works for me.  

First of all, I read two books this week.  The Circular Staircase and How to Study the Bible by D.L. Moody.  

I will review Mary Roberts Rinehart's book first:

I am not a big mystery reader, I have read (& adored) Sherlock Holmes...but that is about it.  I love Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, and have often times thought 'I should really read the series this is based on', but such is life, one thing or another has always seemed to pop up to prevent me from following through.  I'm sad that I've never taken the time to read mysteries, I realize now that was a mistake.  

This book was utterly delightful (except for some time-period language *will explain in a bit).

I will begin with my favorites :
Favorite characters: Liddy and Doctor Stewart
Favorite lines: 
1)"In certain walks of life the tea-pot is the refuge in times of stress, trouble, or sickness.."
2) "Sunnyside was furnishing the people, in one way and another, the greatest excitement they had had for years."
3) "I am not at all superstitious, except, perhaps in the middle of the night, with everything dark..."

Rachel Innes is a middle-aged spinster who inherited custody of her neice and nephew when her brother passed away.  She takes a furnished country home for the summer, entitled Sunnyside, and so the plot unfolds.  The book is narrated from Miss Innes' perspective and is utterly delightful.  I found myself giggling out loud at some of the scrapes Rachel and Liddy found themselves in, pausing to read them to whomever was near enough to listen.  Each chapter end found me eager to read 'just one more', and I am already planning to read the next book she published - The Man in Lower Ten.

*I do NOT like reading books that use offensive language to describe (& thus look down upon) people based on their class or race or education - how is/was that ever ok to say about someone?  This book has two passages that almost ruined the entire book for me.  I wish she had not included those.  

I would recommend this book given my above caveat, I also loved her writing style so much that I am willing to give her another chance in her second book.  I do not know enough about this genre to give it a star rating, but hopefully I will read more this year and be able to revisit this.  

Now, for Dwight L. Moody - I have heard much about him, but never read anything by him.  This book was in short AMAZING.  I am immediately rereading this as a read aloud to my girls.  

Favorite quotes :

"We take good care of this earthly body that we only have for a short time. We feed it three times a day, and we clothe it, and we dress it, and soon it is going into the grave to rot; but the inner man that is to live on and on forever is weak and starved."

"there are four things necessary in studying the Bible: admit, submit, commit, and transmit. First, admit its truth. Second, submit to its teachings. Third, commit it to memory. Fourth, transmit it."

"The best law for Bible study is the law of perseverance. The psalmist says, I have stuck unto thy testimonies (Psalm 119:31). Diligence and discipline in studying the Word will allow it to grow within and show without."

and finally

"That is the way with the Bible – study it and study it, one subject at a time, until you become filled with it."

If you have made it a resolution to study your Bible in the New Year, I HIGHLY recommend you read this book.  It is full of encouragement to get you from resolve to action.  And LOTS of great ideas on how to approach it different ways, if one doesn't work for you - try the next.  Both this book and Mary's above are free on kindle.  The D.L.Moody book was on my Tim Challies list and both counted towards the Brighter Winter challenge.  What did you read this week?  

No comments:

Post a Comment