Friday, April 8, 2022

Trixie Belden in The Secret of the Mansion

Impulsive, outspoken, adventurous Trixie Belden has her heart sat on one thing, and one thing only.  A horse.  She is working around the farm to help her mom out (or moms as she likes to call her) to tend/weed the garden and look after her mischievous little brother Bobby.

The book opens with someone around Trixie's age moving into the Manor House next door, the crabby, odd older gentleman (Mr. Frayne) who lives up the path in his old mansion sick and at the hospital, and Trixie in the middle of it all.  She is trying to figure out how to mount and ride a horse, navigate friendship with Honey (the new girl who moved in next door), and trying to solve the mystery of the old mansion on the hill.  

I was prepared not to like Trixie, she is the opposite of Nancy in a lot of ways, but by the end of chapter four I was hooked.  I highly recommend this story!

1 comment:

  1. I started reading Trixie Belden in 1974, when I was twelve years old. I found them at the local drugstore and quickly bought the entire series, one book at a time with my own money. I even found some older versions at thrift shops and garage sales. I already had the Nancy Drew books, but because Trixie was closer to my actual age I enjoyed these books a little bit better. I kept both series and have them displayed on my bookshelves. These books are something I would never part with. Of course they were all purchased before 1976. I was not impressed with the later versions.

    ReplyDelete