Saturday, September 10, 2022

What I tried to read this week...

OK, so I tried a few books before landing on the one that I would read for this week's challenge.  Although I need to pre-read it for my girls, it was honestly a bit of a let down...and I am not even done yet.

Tried Mr. Churchill's Secretary.  Did not like it.

Re-listened to Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor.  Loved it!  I cannot wait for the paperback version of number two in the series (Winterborne Home for Mystery and Mayhem) to be available at the end of this month.

Re-read Karen Kingsbury's children's book Best Family Ever in preparation to read number three and four aloud this next week.  It has been so long, that I needed a refresher for who the Baxter siblings are as children (because although some of the character traits are unfolding as children, they change quite a bit in adulthood in Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family series).  

Pre-read Owls in the Family.  It is a sweet, short book that my girls were sad they missed when they were younger, so wanted to make sure we get it read.  But as they own rabbits and guinea pigs...they wanted to make sure the owls do not partake of those furry lovelies in the story.  

Landed on Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, because it has been in a stack of books the girls have asked me to pre-read since last spring.  We saw the Disney+ movie (and loved it!) and the book is quite different from the movie.  I am not sure why I am not particularly liking the book...but I just don't.  I am not quite through with it, but will finish it by tonight hopefully.  My favorite quote in the book is:

"Root was right to be nervous.  It he'd known how the straightforward Recon assignment was going to turn out, he probably would have retired then and there.  Tonight, history was going to be made.  And it wasn't the discovery of radium, first man-on-the-moon, happy kind of history.  It was the Spanish Inquisition, here-comes-the Hindenburg bad kind of history.  Bad for humans and fairies.  Bad for everyone." 

Does anyone else ever feel like, when upon reflection, you had a history making week and if you'd known on Monday what would unfold you would retire right on the spot?  Except, we cannot retire from life in general, can we?

I am off to finish the book, but will say this:  If someone asked my opinion regarding movie or book, this time, I would actually suggest the movie instead of the book. 

*edited to add* I finished it!  I stick with my original inclination - I prefer the Disney+ version of the movie to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment