Friday, October 27, 2023

What I read this week and Bible study...

First of all - Bible study and B90 reading update :

We are starting Daniel chapter four this week and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this study so much.  It is hard for us to go (balancing medical issues etc;) but the benefit is far above the cost.  

I also set a goal to read Bible in 90 days before the end of the year...and that is not going to happen, but I am following the plan until completion.  Simply put, I will use the B90 chronological plan as a guide and read until I am done.  I am a huge fan of Bible in 90 days and HIGHLY recommend going through it at least once!!!!  But with that said, the reading and spending time with God are SO much more important than checking off a time frame, so if I am in the Word every single morning - THAT is the most important thing to me right now.  Oh, and I am also in Leviticus and one thing I have always wanted to do is read Leviticus and the book of Hebrew at the same time.  I have heard that the two are SO, SO good together - mutually interpreting nuances in each that are easy to miss...so that is the one deviation from the chronological plan that I am making.

This has been a hard week.  There have been some medical scares in my house with my kiddos,.so I am late getting my book done this week - but here is my review (I am not quite finished with the book, but my goal is by tomorrow afternoon).

Second of all - my book challenge

The Forgotten Stone by E.A. Winters

This was recommended on Jennifer Kropf's Inst*gr*m account, so I am very new to this author.  She is described as a Christian Fantasy author and this book is described as being very much like The Lord of the Rings and Narnia.

I am going to be honest - keeping the characters and tribal/clan names straight is extremely difficult. 

Years ago we bought these little stick people from Mardell's and used them when I would read aloud to help with character identification in the story (we also cut out gingerbread men and women and wrote names on them and used those too) - I really, really wanted to do that this week.  

Or make a flow chart.  

I am reading the kindle version of this book and that is one thing I do NOT like about the digital version of books, you can't just easily flip back a few pages to make sure Oloren is the female fighter that is compassionate and not Gabor (which upon flipping back I remembered that Gabor was a man, SO glad I checked!).  Or how about Vadik vs. Pakel.  

The two characters that I am able to keep straight so far are Enouim and Canuukke. 

Enouim is the young woman that drives the story line, she is the main character and this is her story, her launch out into the wide world to discover where she belongs and what purpose was she born for.  It is admittedly an awkward launch, but I get awkward.  I totally relate to awkward.  

Canukke is the leader of this expedition and a bigger egotistical jerk I am not sure you could find.  I really DO. NOT. like Canukke.  

 *edited to add* OK, so I finally just sped read to the end, and am so disappointed to say the character issue (keeping them all straight) remained until the end.  Half of the time I wasn't even sure who was talking which made it REALLY hard to get into the story.  I am not sure I will read another book by this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment