Monday, December 2, 2013

Grace & Random Thoughts

Yesterday my family and I heard a sermon teaching by Wade Burleson on the radio.  I love listen to him teach from the Bible.  It seems like every single week God uses what he says to meet us, literally, right where we are.  Yesterday was no different.  He taught on what the word grace means.  I have heard lots of definitions of what grace is and what grace isn't, but nothing has really clicked with me.

Until yesterday.

Pastor Burleson said this (I didn't have a pen to write it down word for word, but this the gist of it) : grace is when God gives us what we need, not what we deserve, even when we are being antagonistic towards Him.

As a parent that spoke to me on such a deep level.  Immediately different scenarios popped into my mind, you know the ones that make you want to bang your head against a wall in frustration?  You love these kids more than the next breath you take, but they can make you so frustrated it isn't even funny.  As Pastor Burleson unpacked his teaching it occurred to me that God had just equipped me to know exactly how to respond in every single situation, no matter what the details are.  To respond to my kids (or actually anyone) how they need to be responded to, not how they deserve to be responded to.  What a beautiful gift.

As I reflected on the sermon some more,   I thought of Ephesians 4:29 :
New International Version
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (another version says 'that it may give grace to those who hear)

I hope you guys had an awesome Thanksgiving.  We had some friends over for Thanksgiving dinner and they brought the most delicious green bean casserole, cowboy cookies, and pumpkin bread.  OH MY WORD, it was so good.   I started pt this morning for my knee.  I even got on a bike :)  The past two nights I have been trying to catch up on Downton Abbey, I don't get a lot of TV time, I left off on season 2 last year :(, and am just now getting pick back up where I left off.  I love that show!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment