Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Shoe Leather For Our Life Journey by Edwin W. Thomas

I was given this book by a sweet, sweet lady in my Bible study.  She is friends with the author and highly recommended it.  I wanted to pre-read it quickly so that we can use it as a summer study together, so that's what I did.  

There were four things that bothered me (and I feel silly mentioning them, because they are small things overall and I LOVED the book, but these four things still stuck with me once I closed the last page, so I wanted to note them down).

1) on pg. 25 the author refers to Boaz and Ruth : "An old tradition has it that Boaz took Ruth to be his bride..." this is a curious choice of words since the Bible is inerrant (and the author states that repeatedly throughout the book) and the Bible states that Boaz took Ruth as his wife (Ruth 4:13)

2) on pg. 35 the author says "Jesus took it to be a three-day picture miracle of His own resurrection from the Tomb..." when referring to Jonah in the belly of the whale.  Again, a curious choice of wording that almost seems to cast doubt.  Jesus pointed out that it was a picture of His own suffering and miracle resurrection - and the author even cites Matthew 12:40 here.

3) on pg. 51 "Christ could not have survived this spearing but most likely had already died." The author was commenting on John 19:33-34 when he wrote this and the verse LITERALLY starts with "But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was dead already..." so I realized at this point all three examples are either just awkwardly worded OR I mis-read them (I do that a lot).  

4) this one bothered me personally (and very likely will bother absolutely no one else) but on page 17 for some reason when referring to the Mosaic covenant he calls it something else.  

BUT aside from those four things this book is SO SO good.  I would recommend it and will teach it this summer even.  I HIGHLY recommend reading it.  My favorite chapters are Chapter Two : Walk Through the Bible (Big Picture) and his explanations of the Fruit of the Spirit in Chapter Five : Our Ever-Present Traveling Companion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment