Friday, March 8, 2019

Day 2 (which would have been yesterday) of Lent

Journey to the Cross (by Will Walker and Kendal Haug) is the devotional I chose to journey through the Lent season this year.  Yesterday's questions nailed down exactly why I am doing this.  Specifically the first one:

"What do you run to for comfort, pleasure, and entertainment?"

I wish my answer was the Word of God. 

Prayer. 

His presence.

Or even worship music.

But overwhelmingly, embarrassingly enough, the answer was chocolate.

There is something so comforting to me about a cup of hot chocolate.  It is like getting a hug in a cup.  I realized after I completed the rest of yesterday's readings and answered all of the questions, that is why I need to lay down chocolate for a season.  If I take away all of the extras, will Jesus be enough?  That is what I need to settle in my heart.  Not the correct churchy answer, but the rock-solid answer that I can stand on, lean on, and grasp with both hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment