Thursday, January 16, 2020

Have you seen Frozen 2?

If you have not and are wanting to please DO NOT read this post as it may contain spoilers.

On Christmas Day we were in the midst of a very, very difficult few weeks.  There had been several medicine changes made by our kids' doctor at the end of October/beginning of November and the fall-out from that was at a fever pitch.  Those four or five weeks felt impossible.  It was truly, truly one of the most difficult sets of weeks we have been through in this roller coaster journey of mental (and neurological) chronic illness.  On Christmas Day we drove around trying to simultaneously get out of the house and get a change of scenery and to break up what was shaping up to be a very awful day.  Our usual fall back of finding a store to walk around in, was not an option, as most stores were closed since it was after all Christmas Day.

As we drove around town we somehow ended up in the parking lot of our local movie theater.  Now for reference the first movie we made it all the way through as a family was Frozen (the original one), the second one we were considering trying was Frozen 2.  My kids just do not do well in large crowds, loud overwhelming noises and lights etc;.  And no it has NOT gotten easier as they have gotten older, if anything, it has gotten more difficult.  But once in a blue moon, we will try something crazy and it will actually be a good experience.  This idea was one of those blue moon ideas.  It worked.  My husband even left the movie in the middle to go home and give our puppy his anti-seizure medication (he has to take it three times a day) so that none of us would miss a moment of the movie (my husband is quite literally is the most thoughtful and considerate person I know, a prince among men).

An added bonus, on this day, at the time we tried, there was not a lot of people there, and it was a matinee performance which meant it did not cost an arm and a leg to go!!  The staff went above and beyond finding us seats since one of my kids was in a wheelchair - it just was a great experience, a moment of respite in what had been a very dark, very heavy, very difficult month thus far.

To my surprise, at one point in the movie when Elsa (the lead character) discovers the source of the voice who had been calling to her, she started singing a song and I just lost it.  I am not sure why I became so emotional, but buckets of tears fell.  Weeks later, as my kids play excerpts from this movie on Instagram, I still tear up at this section of the song:

(Show Yourself is the name of the song).

Where the north wind meets the sea
Ah ah ah ah
There's a river
Ah ah ah ah
Full of memory
Come, my darling, homeward bound
I am found 


Yesterday I went to have my annual mammogram and my kids sent me a link to this song and it hit me.  I understood in that moment what moved me so deeply.  In the movie Elsa becomes who she is meant to be, she is home, she is found.  She is transformed into a beautiful white flowing dress and I realized there will come a time - there will be the moment that we reach home.  Where we will be fully found.  We will gaze up into our Savior's eyes and NOTHING will be able to harm us again.  Nothing will shake us, nothing will terrify us, nothing will be able to hurt us ever again.  Hard days, medicine changes, doctor office phone calls and appointments, cancer screenings - all of it will be gone.  We will be home.  We will be safe.  Forever.  He will clothe us in garments of pure white, and we will be fully tucked in His presence forever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment