Thursday, January 28, 2021

January Reading

 SO far this year, I have read :

Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster - I HIGHLY recommend this book.  I have had it for years.  Seriously, it has moved several times with me, and been a staple on every shelf we have put together.  But, embarrassingly enough, I never read it.  BIG mistake.  This is such a beautifully practical book.  I got the study guide after reading it because I want to think about it some more.

Simply Classical by Cheryl Swope - this was a reread for me.  I was thinking back and I think I read it two, possibly three times before this...but it had been a while.  I LOVE this book.  I highly recommend this book if you are homeschooling at all, in any capacity, but especially if you have any kids that struggle - whether medically, academically, emotionally, or educationally.  This book is beautiful.  (*as a side note, I truly originally chose this book because of the beautiful cover, but what is tucked inside, that is the real treasure!)

Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes - oh my.  I love, love, love this book. I am almost finished with it, but WOW!!!  Amanda Dykes has a gorgeous writing style.

40 Days Sugar Fast by Wendy Speake - OK. I have a love/hate relationship both with this book and with this challenge right now.  I have started and failed, restarted, and limped along with this challenge.  Sugar has been a major, major stronghold in my life for as long as I can remember.  I have been so frustrated with reading all of the Instagram posts (and stories in the book too), about how victorious everyone has been and how much closer to God they feel.  I finally had to stop reading the Instagram posts, because I am not doing anyone any favors comparing my journey to theirs.  God is faithful and good and beautiful.  He has slowly been drawing my heart to gaze upon Him, and Him alone.  I am not sure if I am especially hard-headed or what, it just seems to always be through difficulties, and hard days, and the sadness of saying no to something you really like.  Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but sometimes - some things are harder for someone than they may be for someone else.  Sugar, more specifically chocolate (& even more specifically than that Hot Chocolates) are such a comfort for me.  I look forward to a hot chocolate on a bad day the way some people may look forward to a glass of wine or a bubble bath.  So to set that aside, and to set it aside in a hard season....well it has been HARD.  Not pretty, not tied with a neat bow, just plain hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment