Saturday, January 30, 2021

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

How have I not read this book before????  This is THE best book we have read in a long time.  It is laugh-out-loud funny, not to mention the amazing job that narrator Lorna Raver does.  She reads this story to perfection!  If you have access to a computer, Audible Stories is still offering free access to many titles, specifically, you will find this book narrated by Lorna Raver on there 💝.  We have enjoyed it so much as we have traversed the back and forth, back and forth, of doctor appointments.  I am SO tired of going to doctor appointments, therapy appointments, eye appointments...it just seems never-ending recently.  But having a book like this to look forward to, sure does make it a loooooooooooot easier.  I find myself looking for excuses to jump in the car, much like I did a few years ago when we were listening to A Wolf Princess (by Cathryn Constable).   

In case you are interested, we also loved this cute story The Spies that Bind: A Gallagher Girls Prequel by Ally Carter (also on Audible Stories).  I do NOT like the series, but this prequel is super cute and makes a great, easy, fun listen in the car.  I cannot also, in good conscience, forget to mention "The Princess Tales" by Gail Carson Levine (currently there are six to choose from on Audible Stories).  Each one is roughly an hour in length and we have enjoyed these immensely at bedtime, especially since someone is always forgetting to set the sleep timer and I am NOT a happy camper when I wake up at 2am hearing someone talking in my kids' bedroom.  No matter how many times it happens, I throw off the covers, rush in there, only to be greeted by Del Roy deep in story about Kate, Sticky, Rennie, and Constance and the adventure they are currently taking or Victor Garber telling me what Harold and Chester have gotten into now.  *sigh*

Oh, did you ever read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson when you were younger?  I did, and I had no idea there were actually three titles in this series.  Anyway, our absolute favorite narrator for the three titles is Elaine Stritch.  Sometimes you need a fun book on a hard afternoon and it helps when you find a copy read by someone who totally embodies the story, that grasps the characters to perfection.  Elaine Stritch is this person!!!!!  I don't think this one is on Audible Stories, but I highly recommend getting a copy if you can.

Speaking of that, if you have kids that struggle to read and/or focus, I have found Audible to be an amazing investment.  We have had it for maybe two years?  I can't remember, but we LOVE this membership.  It is so worth the monthly cost.  Not only do you get the one or two titles (depending on which you sign up for) each month, but there is also a discount for members, and oftentimes, for less than a cost of a DVD, you can build your library book by book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment