Saturday, June 5, 2021

What's been going on for us...

I cannot believe we are half-way through 2021 already.  I also can't believe two of my girls are in their late teens now, one having celebrated a birthday in April, one in May.  It seems surreal.  This year, while far better than last, is weird and difficult in its own right.  

It seems like we went from nothing to all - in terms of the pandemic.  It was no gathering, no social activities, no church (grocery shopping, picking up food...etc;) without social distancing and masks (in fact until a few weeks ago they were still counting people who came into Walmart).  And then bam - it snapped back to normal - hugs, people, social groups, and no masks/ no distancing...is anyone else having a hard time just snapping back to "normal"?  I still wear my mask at places like the grocery store, doctor appointments, the pharmacy, and church.  I know other people think that is weird and unneeded (mainly because they comment 'that it is weird and unneeded'), but for the first time in a long time we have gone almost a year without our girls getting sick.  

That is something to celebrate.  Especially since getting sick for them means weeks of trying to get back to status quo - while they may handle the cold or tummy bug well and recover quickly, all of their chronic and underlying conditions do not.  😢

I attribute us having a healthy fall/winter 2020 and spring/early summer 2021 to two things 1) we probably wash our hands way more than we used to, but 2) mask wearing (for us - not those around us).  So, I am not ready to give up my mask quite yet.  I 'm fine with others not wearing a mask, in fact even during the heart of the pandemic mask wearing was very lax here.  I'm ok with that.  I just wish everyone would extend patience and understanding to us.  What works for me, may not and probably will not work for you.  But that doesn't mean I am right and you are wrong.  It just means there is room for grace to cover differences.  So yes, my mask may be the equivalent of a security blanket, but when we are ready, we will hang up ours.

I have been reading Bible in 90 days to myself and the smaller portions aloud to the girls.  That coupled with the gentler school schedule, until August comes, I'm not going to have time to read anything else.  I am ok with that, I just wish I had not set such an ambitious reading goal in January.  Actually, I wish I'd preplanned to spend the summer immersed in God's Word, that it would have been a priority when setting goals.  

Tanner is still paralyzed.  We have two types of slings, one is just the generic sling that goes under their tummy and allows them to walk on their front legs, with you helping support their back.  The other you put each back leg into a loop and then hoist his paws off the ground so that he does not drag them.  His care is all consuming and I am exhausted (the girls are exhausted and Richard is exhausted...it is a group effort).  We haven't had a great week here in our house, and it was capped off with a not so great set of doctor appointments yesterday.  Since we had to drive so far, we boarded Tanner at our vet.  They took a look at him while he was hanging out with them (they are SUCH a great vet place, we love them so much), and while he is happy., there is not a lot of hope in terms of prognosis.  We are going to give it through the summer to see how he does and probably then have to make some hard decisions.  I hate this aspect of owning pets.  Seriously hate the letting go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment