Saturday, June 5, 2021

Bible in 90 Week Two

First of all, I got behind in my reading this week.  

Besides being really tired and overwhelmed with bad days...I simply did not stick to the plan.  

I am at the end of Numbers and CANNOT wait to start one of my very favorite books of the Bible - Deuteronomy.  I hope to catch up by tomorrow.

I always have such a hard time Balaam and Balak, because when I read the story in Numbers 22-25, I do not pick up on what is revealed later in Numbers 31:15-16, Deuteronomy 23:3-6, 2 Peter 2:15, Jude 1:11, and Revelations 2:14.  I also don't understand why God gets angry at Balaam initially, is it because Balaam keeps asking God even though he knew God didn't want him to go?  This is one I want to go back and study later, after the challenge.

From the end of Leviticus all the way through Numbers, these are areas I noted in my margins:

Leviticus 17 - God says that He has given the blood to make atonement.  The life of every creature is in its blood.  Sin always requires sacrifice to cover it - always the shedding of blood.  

Leviticus 19 - "Be holy, because I, the LORD your God am holy."  My personal pursuit of holiness is more important and requires more effort than I am currently giving it.  

Leviticus 23:22 - I immediately thought of Ruth and Boaz.

Leviticus 25 - The warning not to take advantage of others - but instead to fear God. 

Leviticus 26 - 'If you'... but also the 'if you will not'...and then the 'but if they will confess their sins'...

Leviticus 27 - the reminder of how important, fundamental, and non-negotiable tithing was, is, and will be

Numbers 6 - the priestly blessing (aka aaronic blessing) - I absolutely this blessing!  Here is Rico Cortes singing it (my favorite version)

Numbers 7 - there are four types of offerings - grain, burnt, sin, and fellowship.  Definitely want to go back and study these. 

Numbers 8 - the wave offering purpose - so that they may be ready to do the work of the LORD.  LOVE this reminder - to be ready to be about His work.

Numbers 9 - at the LORD's command the Israelites set out, and at His command they encamped.

Numbers 10 -  When they ark set out, Moses said:

"Rise up, LORD! May Your enemies be scattered; may Your foes flee before You."

When it came time to rest, he said:

"Return, LORD, to the countless thousands of Israel."

Numbers 11 - "Is the LORD's arm too short?" love this reminder

Numbers 14 - "The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion.  Yet, He does not leave the guilty unpunished...In accordance with Your great love, forgive the sun of these people..."

Numbers 16 - these men sinned at the cost of their lives.  The graveness of this reminder!

Numbers 17 - Aaron's staff not only sprouted, but budded, blossomed, and produced almonds and this was to be kept as a sign of the rebellious.

Numbers 18 - you must present as the LORD's portion the best and holiest part - do I offer my best to God?

Numbers 20 - "Because you did not trust in Me enough to honor Me as holy in the sight of the Israelites..." do I do this?  Not trust in God enough to honor Him as holy in the sight of others.

Numbers 21 - But the people grew impatient on the way, and spoke against God - how often do I grow impatient and speak against, murmur, complain, cast doubt?

I already spoke about Balaam and Balak and my desire to go back later.

Numbers ties up with review of the feasts, offerings, and festivals.  My great grandmother was a Messianic Jew - she was raised Orthodox - but accepted Jesus as her savior.  I am so fascinated with my Jewish heritage.  One of her cousins (I think it was cousin), said he traced our lineage back to the Kohathite clan, so it is always SO fascinating to see what was assigned to each tribe of the Levites - they were assigned their work and and told what to carry (Numbers 4).  I want to spend some significant time studying the feasts, festivals, and offerings and how they tie into Jesus.  

Numbers 35 - towns for the Levites - and cities of Refuge.  I absolutely love that God set cities of refuge.  The fact that His compassion extends and covers so completely.

Happy reading this week 💖💝💖

No comments:

Post a Comment