Wednesday, August 18, 2021

When it feels so wrong to just go about business as usual...

I had planned on doing a bullet journal post for my mid-week post...but then this week happened and normal just feels wrong.  

I was three months pregnant with my first born when 9/11 happened.  I, along with the rest of our nation, watched in shock and horror as the attacks unfolded.  The fear and uncertainty that gripped our nation was palpable - the weeks that followed, the declaration of war on terror, the sending of our service men and women to fight a new type of battle, one that would take a long time and would just be holding terror at bay not exactly defeating it once and for all - it was surreal.  The headlines from those days, weeks, and months felt more like a plot line than reality...but real it was.  

Fast forward twenty years and here we are.  I cannot even understand or comprehend how one administration could mess up SO badly.  They have needlessly put so many in harms way.  I cannot imagine the feelings and thoughts this week from those that served our country - how betrayed and angry they must feel?  How much our nation (this week alone) has compounded the suffering of those we have left behind - the most vulnerable - women, children, the sick, Christian believers, the ones that bravely stepped forward and helped our nation and our allies, those that served in the Afghan military and government...not to mention the American citizens trapped over there with news headlines alluding to the fact that the current administration has no idea or plans on how to get them out or protect them while they are there.  If I feel angry and helpless, how much more so do those directly involved???

I read two things last night that helped articulate the cry of my heart:

Anne Graham Lotz posted the MOST amazing prayer - you can read it here.

And a minister from California, Jack Hibbs, suggested to pray Psalm 35 - and I am going to pray that daily over the Afghani people.  

I was so sad because we recently had to cancel our vacation, but truly I would give a thousand vacation weeks to undo what our nation's administration allowed to unfold this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment