Friday, September 3, 2021

Making sure I don't forget

to pray is one of the biggest hurdles I face.  When I type out that statement, I see the pride and presumption so clearly in my heart.  I need to take that time to worship God, to pour out my heart to Him, to sit in silence and humble myself to simply draw near to Him.  Why is it then so hard to actually sit, be quiet, and pray?  Why is my first instinct to charge into something (as if my way is the best way) and then send up a quick prayer to God on the way or worse yet as an afterthought, especially when I find myself in hot water (i.e. discovering quickly that my way was not best way...in fact it may very well have been the worst way 😕)?  

Praying is a chance to humble myself and admit, I don't know what actually needs to be done - God does.  I don't actually know when this needs to be done - God does.  I don't have the power to get all that needs to get done, when it needs to get done by...but God does.  God also knows what He needs me to do and when He needs me to do it.  This is a continual tug of war with me.  Pride is such an ugly beast.

My struggle to pray has also uncovered the battle of unbelief in my heart.  I can rest and God will act - whether that is simply leaving it to Him to sort out, or whether He will guide the next few days or weeks with opportunities for me to take action.  (Example - praying for Afghanistan.  Praying is all that we could do for the first few days - even the first week, then as time has gone on, doors have opened up to take action.)

So, as I am building the habit of praying for others  - whether it is in my immediate circle - family and friends or the larger circle of brothers and sisters in Christ and people around and across the world - here are practical steps I can take to help build that habit:

1) Obey - sheer obedience to humble myself under the mighty hand of God. 1 Peter 5:6

2) Continually remind myself that Psalm 33:13 is true - that God looks down from heaven and sees all the children of man.  And Jeremiah 23:24 - "Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the LORD.  "Do I not fill the heaven and the earth?"  declares the LORD.  He sees.  He sees and He cares.

3) It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.  Lamentations 3:26

So this morning, I lift up those that are hurting -

Dear God, 

I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief.  As I learn more about You, may it humble me even more - so that there is less of me and more of You.  God, my heart hurts for those that are hurting this morning.  There are so many - from cases of cancer and covid to loss to divorce and relational fractures.  There are broken families and friendships and churches.  There are broken minds and broken emotions.  There is devastation in Haiti, flooding and so much loss and devastation from Hurricane Ida, there are fires in California, there is much brokenness and deception in the way our country left Afghanistan - Father lives were lost, lives were left behind, lives are in danger. 

Yet - I bring to mind this truth.  Because of Your great love we are not consumed.  Because of Your faithfulness, which is new every.single.morning., we have hope.  You are our portion, our hope is in You.  We seek You - we wait quietly for Your salvation.  Father, strengthen those that are barely hanging on to this hope.  Strengthen us to wait in such a way that glorifies You.  Be an ever present help to the persecuted.  Father God, help them to not be afraid, to not fear the threats against them.  Finally, please strengthen each of us to the end, so that we will persevere under any and all trials.  Please continually remind us, your sons and daughters across the world, what we are actually striving towards - eternity with You.  The crown of life You have promised to those that love You.  May we keep our eyes ever upon You.  In Jesus' name I pray.  Amen. 

Mark 9:23-24, 1 Peter 5:6, Lamentations 3:22-26, Jeremiah 1:8, Isaiah 49:13, James 1:12, 1 Peter3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment