Wednesday, October 20, 2021

What I am learning in week one

1) Because I have used food (+ hot chocolates 😋) as my go-to comfort for the past year (plus), this cycle is going to be a lot harder to break than just deciding to do it.

2) I worry a LOT about what other people are thinking about my size, what I am or am not eating, what I am or am not doing for exercise etc;  I think yes, in my natural self, I would always have been conscious of this, however, growing up and training to be a professional ballerina took this mindset to a whole new level.  It was always ALWAYS about how the artistic director (&/or casting director) viewed your body as to whether he/she would cast you, how your partner viewed your body, how your teacher(s) viewed your body....Still fourteen years after I last performed and took a class somewhere, that mindset is still stuck firm.

3) In truth journaling I have discovered a pattern of lies I tell myself.  Daily.  

a) I want __________, so I should have or I will go get or I need to have it.  The truth:  Just because I want it, does NOT mean I should/can/need to have it.  Especially not if the thought pops in my mind and it isn't planned for.  I like how Sara and Becky encourage you to plan your treats (The Holy Mess and So Very Blessed).  What I need is to develop self-control and self-discipline.

b) I will start tomorrow.  The truth: I have never (NOT ONCE) started "tomorrow".  We aren't even guaranteed tomorrow.  All we have is today.  Right now.

c) What does it matter now?  I have already gained _____, what will one cookie, or a hot chocolate, or....matter?  The truth: My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and it was bought at a price.  It matters very much what I put into it. 

4) Have you ever asked yourself -'how much ____________ would be enough to satisfy you?  Fill you up?  Complete you?'  You can fill in the blank anything that you struggle with in terms of self-control or self-discipline.  Have you seen those really cute Instagram posts of animals doing a tiktok video to the background of a human saying "It will never be enough.  Never enough.  Like never, ever enough."? Those videos are SO cute.  And also SO true.  There will never be enough ___________ to satisfy me, because _________ was never meant to satisfy me (whether it's chocolate or trinkets or approval).  Paul tells me exactly how to break that cycle of thinking in Philippians 4:11-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment