Saturday, February 26, 2022

Just Mercy

I have a pending post for Monday, which includes every book I read for the Brighter Winter challenge.  This title is included among others - so I won't write a wordy review on this post - 

but this book!!!!  What are the words that would serve this title well?  I am not sure I have them.

I read Just Mercy this past week and it turned my entire world upside down.  I chose the young adult version mainly because the season of life I am in - I cannot handle heavier books.  I am by nature a sensitive reader, but the past ten years - as our struggles have become longer and heavier - the extra emotional capacity just isn't there.  But this story was so important that I wanted to get a version that I could read - but even in that - even with the young adult version - the stories in this book broke my heart.  They caused me to question every single thing I thought I knew about fairness and justice and race.  This books is a vital story that needs to be told - over and over and over again until every single person knows it - examines it - and prayerfully reflects over it.

I also read Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson and have some great ideas for future reading and amazingly enough found courage and reassurance as I read a story with so much hurt and injustice as Just Mercy - that one of the ways to fight against the darkness daily is to follow Wendell Berry's rallying cry to daily love the Lord and to love the world and to daily do something that won't compute with the dour expectations of this fallen world. (taken from pg. 226)

We also hope to wrap up The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge this weekend (hence the pending post for Monday).  I did not get to any planned reading, but that is ok.  My heart was occupied with the reading of Just Mercy and now the tragedy unfolding in Ukraine.  

There is so much heartbreak in the world, all I know to do, all I can do is pray and to daily do something that goes against the darkness - whether it is to help catch the stones or to sing and glory in a good God who is still on His throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment