Friday, February 11, 2022

Prisoner B-3087

After my disappointment with Amanda Quick's book that I tried, I just pulled two out of my TBR pile - Secrets of the Secret Place by Bob Sorge and Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz.

"But we have only one purpose now: survive.  Survive at all costs, Yanek.  We cannot let these monsters tear us from the pages of the world." pg 70

I just wrapped up Prisoner B-3087 and WOW WOW WOW.  I loved this book, but it was so hard to read - the cruelty was so brutal, but I think the hardest thing to read about was the people who saw what was happening and did nothing to help.  I mean the horror of knowing you could so something, anything, and you did nothing - how did those people live with themselves?  How did they sleep at night?  How did the parents tuck their kids into bed, knowing what was happening to children at the hands of their country?  Right there in their country.  The incongruency of loving animals so much to punish the SS guards for animal cruelty and yet reward them for their brutality to the humans...I just cannot wrap my mind around this.  

My great grandmother was Jewish - her family immigrated to America long before the Holocaust, but they came from Prussia, I wonder if any of my ancestors could not or did not make the trip and lost their lives in the Holocaust?  Anyway - I have read aloud several of Alan Gratz's books, but this one my oldest read before I did and she recommended that I read it.  I am so glad that Amanda Quick's book did not work out.  I would recommend this book to anyone studying the Holocaust.  (And I highly recommend Alan Gratz as a good solid historical fiction author)

I am on chapter twenty-six of Secrets of the Secret Place, I was gifted this book and workbook several years ago, and it goes on my TBR list every year.  I am so excited to finally get to it and am really enjoying it.  It has been a nice counter balance to reading about the horrors of the Holocaust.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. My son and I enjoy reading together, especially books about wwII and holocaust. "Inside Hitler's Bunker" is a good look at what happened the last ten days of his life. We read it and watched Der Untergang movie which was movie version. Hard to take but interesting all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - I will have to look for that one, I bet that was a hard read. I love reading aloud to and with my kids - it is SUCH a neat connection.

    ReplyDelete