Friday, July 8, 2022

Christ in the Classroom by Jared Dees

A few years ago I used the Lectio Divina method to study the Word and then when I found out that quite a few teachers use this method to lesson plan, I was intrigued.  

I stumbled upon this book in the late winter/early spring and have excitedly looked forward to reading it ever since it arrived.  I was a little worried that it would be so similar to Teaching to Change Lives (since ironically that one is also geared towards Sunday school/religious teaching) that it would be a waste of time to read this book too.  I am happy to say this was not the case!

I'm not Catholic, however I did go to Catholic school (through sixth grade) and distinctly remember religion class.  These classes, like all other subjects, consisted mainly of textbook reading, followed by what felt like endless workbook pages (aka "busy work").  After reading this, I very much wish I'd been in Mr. Dees class.

This book is amazing.  It begins off reminding us as teachers (in any capacity - public, private, home, Sunday, book clubs...) - that our primary responsibility is not to teach; it is to ensure our students learn. Mr. Dees goes on to remind us of how easy it is to fall into the trap of thinking that just because you have taught something (followed your lesson plans, your power point, your lecture etc;) this means that now the responsibility is completely on their shoulders to learn and understand it.  In other words, once you have presented/taught your lesson plan, your job is done.  The ball is now in their court.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is our job to monitor the learning that is (or is not) taking place and to make course adjustments as needed to ensure that the students are learning and understanding.  Why is this so important?  Because, as Mr. Dees reminds us, it is our job to teach the head so that Christ can touch the heart.  And I believe this is as true for studying the Word of God and the doctrines of your faith as it is for History and Math and Science.  

Mr. Dees does a fantastic job demonstrating how to apply Lectio Divina in lesson planning.  He explains why it matters so deeply that we put so much thought, effort, planning, and love into teaching and he does this in a thoughtful and engaging manner.  Although there were aspects that do not apply to me (because I am not Catholic) I loved this book so much and heartedly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment