Friday, June 9, 2023

The Man Who Died Twice

by Richard Osman

This is the second book in the Thursdays Murder Club series.  I love the way Richard Osman writes these stories.  I think my favorite chapters are Joyce's diary entries.  In this book, we see the four main characters - Joyce, Elizabeth, Ron, and Ibrahim again, feisty and fierce as ever.  But when one of them is attacked by a punk kid and no one on the police can really pin that crime on the kid (and besides the police have bigger fish to fry, like a no-account drug dealer that they can't seem to surveil without being surveilled themselves), then the fab four step in to 'take care of it'.

In the midst of it, Elizabeth is swept up inadvertently in two murders, Joyce is trying to decide if she should get a dog, and we get to see Bogdan again.   I wasn't sure I would like this story, I actually started it a few weeks ago and set it aside and ultimately returned it.  But, I went ahead and put my name back on the waiting list figuring it would be another long wait (I think I waited like twelve weeks the first time?.  However to my surprise it popped up available this week, so I gave it another try.  

** I actually came back and edited this review.  Now that I have had time to reflect more on this story, yes the witty banter is funny, the loyalty of friendship is lovely, and the slow deterioration of dementia/Alzheimer's is heart rending, but the inappropriate humor and conversation threads negatively and (in my opinion) so far outweigh any benefit that it seems all that stuck with me is the off the cuff comments and suggestions...and that is not what I want lodged in my mind after I read a book.  Given the choice again, I would not have read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment