Friday, January 19, 2024

Week Three

What I read this week :

Murder in an Irish Village by Carlene O'Connor (listened to it - if you want to read my review, click on the title)

Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (fulfills Brighter Winter challenge to read a book set on the continent of Africa).  This is a re-read for me and I HIGHLY recommend this book.  It is short, but don't let that fool you. This book will stay with you long after you turn the final page.

I finished The Book of God by April Oursler Armstrong.  I mentioned why I chose this book when I reviewed the first half of it.  Overall, I liked it.  She does (of course) flesh out parts of the Bible stories to make it applicable to children.  With that said, if I was reading this aloud to children there are some chapters I would skip all together because some portions crossed a line.  I still think there is benefit in reading this book and really like how the author writes.  The book takes stories from the Old Testament from Adam and Eve to Nehemiah (and a brief last chapter about Malachi).  Overall, I am glad I read it.

Two picture books round out my reading that I completed this week:

Finding Winnie (to fulfill a Caldecott Winner picture book) by Lindsay Mattick.  I have wanted to read this from the first moment I spied it on a bookshelf at Barnes and Noble several years ago.  LOVED it.  Such a sweet, sweet read aloud with gorgeous illustrations!

Last Stop on Market Street (to fulfill a Coretta Scott King award picture book) by Matt De La Pena.  I LOVE this book.  The message of learning to see things in a way that is deeply grateful for what you have is such a timely and important reminder that I all too quickly forget.  The beautiful illustrations - oh my do I love a beautiful picture book!! I am SO glad I finally took the time to grab this book and will be pulling it out over and over again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment