Friday, February 23, 2024

Controlling the Tongue

by R.T. Kendall

Oh my.

This book is amazing.

It is convicting, encouraging, and full of practical Godly counsel on how to conquer one of (if not the most destructive) body parts that we have : the tongue.

Mastering what you say and how you say it and when you say it is hard enough, but also having the wisdom and self-control to just be quiet - HARD but so, so good!!!

The chapters where he addresses these two topics hit me the hardest:

"Dignifying the Trials of Life" with words of submission and praise (instead of complaint and doubt/unbelief) and "The Proof of Self-Control" with the fact that you have to come face to face with the fact that this will be a life-long battle.  These are sobering, jarring chapters that really jolt you awake and force you to face the reality that you will be held accountable and your tongue (the words you speak) really can build someone up or tear them down in an instant.

I HIGHLY recommend this book.  In fact, if I could recommend two books to read this year, I would recommend this book and Still and Quiet Mind by Esther Smith.  

And if I could be so bold as to recommend the order you read them in, I would suggest that you read Still and Quiet Mind first, then immediately follow with this one.  💙

No comments:

Post a Comment